Monday, May 26, 2008

Here's you sign...

Well, here's my sign at least. If a power trim unit is acting like the manual release valve is loosened and won't trim properly, it's entirely possible that the manual release valve is loosened and thus the motor won't trim properly. :)

Back to the beginning of the day. The kids and I went out early today, around 9:30. Boy do they get whiney quick. "I'm hot.", "I'm sweaty", "When can we go in.". I don't know what they're going to do when it really get's hot... Anyway, got the motor back off and replace the leaky o-ring. The operation seemed to be a success. So I bolted the motor back on the boat...but no trim.

I spend the better part of two hours trying to figure out why it wouldn't fully trim. It would move on the lower trim cylinders, but the main center cylinder acted like it wasn't doing anything...it wasn't pressurized at all. I thought it might be a hydaulic line that was crushed a bit when the motor when through the Bayliner transom, but taking that off revealed it to be allow flow still...

So I struggled with it. I pulled the motor on more time to check that the trim motor was engaging the pump correctly. I tried adding fluid...but it really didn't seem low. It just wasn't working...

Finally tonight, I had a revelation. There is an manual release. I was treating the fill screw on the fluid resoviour a bleed screw and had forgotten about the actual manual release/bleed screw that I apparently loosened about 5 years ago. Went out with a flashlight and had it trimming up and down within 30 seconds.

So I can finally move on from the trim. Lower unit time...

No comments:

Post a Comment